This holiday weekend will be rainy, but there will still be a lot to do in Gulf and Franklin Counties.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks in Port St. Joe
Weather permitting, fireworks will be over St. Joseph Bay in Port St. Joe starting at 10:00 p.m. EST on New Year’s Eve. The fireworks should be visible from downtown Port St. Joe and from George Core Park.
Join friends and neighbors on Jaun. 1 at 10 a.m. EST for the annual Cape San Blas Polar Plunge at Cape Palms Park. Participants will run into the chilly waters of the Gulf to kick off 2023. Donuts and coffee will be provided by Scallop Cove.
Museum looks at Third Reich’s crimes
The Camp Gordon Johnston World War II Museum in Carrabelle has opened a month-long special exhibit on the war crime trials of German military and government members. In 1945-46, high ranking German officials were prosecuted for war crimes and crimes committed against humanity stemming from their actions before and during the war. Throughout the month the exhibit focuses on the trials of the more notorious defendants as well as the prosecutors, charges, and verdicts. Exhibit includes wartime artifacts whose origin and path to the museum remain shrouded in mystery. The museum is across from Carrabelle Beach and is open every Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is no charge for admission.
Carrabelle’s Country Market Saturday
The Crooked River Lighthouse continues its Country Farmer’s Market on Saturday, Dec. 31 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lighthouse Park, 1975 Hwy 98 West, Carrabelle. Markets are held on the first, third and fifth Saturdays.
The market is actively recruiting new and returning vendors, who may sign up at any time at a cost of $10 a market. For more information, contact 850-697-2732, [email protected] or www.crookedriverlighthouse.com.
First Day Hike
Ring in the New Year with a First Day Hike at T.H. Stone Memorial St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. Join park staff as they venture through three distinct natural communities on the scenic half-mile Maritime Hammock Trail. Enjoy views of St. Joseph Bay and the diversity of plants and wildlife along the way. Hike begins at 11 a.m. EST and is free with regular park entry.
Live music in Gulf County
FRIDAY, DEC. 30
- Barry Henson will be playing at Mango Marleys starting at 6 p.m. CST.
- Keith Rea will be playing at Scallop Republic starting at 7 p.m. EST.
- Buddy Hamm will be playing at The Brick Wall starting at 7 p.m. EST.
- Otha Allen Jr. will be playing at The Mill Merchantile and Social starting at 7 p.m. EST.
- Stevie Monce will be playing at the Haughty Heron starting at 8 p.m. EST.
- Bad Decisions will be playing at St. Joe Bar and Package starting at 8 p.m. EST.
- Mike English will be playing at Tap Root starting at 8 p.m. EST.
SATURDAY, DEC. 31
- Chris Godber will be playing at Sisters Bistro starting at 5:30 p.m. EST.
- Flabbergasted will be playing at Tap Root starting at 7 p.m. EST.
- Konkrete Soul will be playing at The Mill Merchantile and Social starting at 8 p.m. EST.
- Ronnie Randolph will be playing at Mango Marleys starting at 8 p.m. CST.
- The Hunter Wall Band will be playing at the Haughty Heron starting at 9 p.m. EST.
Live music in Franklin County
FRIDAY, DEC. 30
- The Tyler James Duo will be playing at High Five Dive Bar starting at 3 p.m. EST.
- Brandon Wheeler will be playing at Eastpoint Beer Co. starting at 5 p.m. EST.
- Steven Ritter and the Whatnots will be playing at High Five Dive Bar starting at 7 p.m. EST.
- The Frank Fletcher Band will be playing at Half Shell Dockside starting at 8 p.m. EST.
SATURDAY, DEC. 31
- Brandon Wheeler will be playing at High Five Dive Bar starting at 4 p.m. EST.
- KT will be playing at the Gibson Inn starting at 6 p.m. EST.
- The Pirate Band will be playing at The Red Pirate starting at 7 p.m. EST.
- Jet City will be playing at Fathom’s Steam Room starting at 8 p.m. EST.
- Scratch 2020 will be playing at High Five Dive Bar starting at 8 p.m. EST.
- Mind Plays will be playing at Half Shell Dockside starting at 9 p.m. EST.
- Alex Napier and Daybreak will be playing at Paddy’s Raw Bar starting at 9 p.m. EST.
SUNDAY, JAN. 1
- Flying Fish will be playing at Half Shell Dockside starting at 1 p.m. EST.